Creation collection with Tomasz (zoom call)
start creating notes
helps to keep you from going to wide of to deep
40+ lessons into collections could indicate you are doing 2 collections
Every lesson should be possible to watch independently
plan lessons in a way that the order make sense (kinda obvious)
are collections ever finished?
- He does not think they have an end, but that is contradictory to the 40+ lessons statement
collections are lessons that the idea is connected with one another
- not sure if I understand this one...
types of collections
Ever-Growing list(Svelte version)
- started with 4 and now is 20+
- Ideas on my head published into egghead
Not-so-Ever-Growing list(Cypress collection)
- it involved some planning
- clear view of what you want to cover
Tomasz is doing collections using both types
re-watch your videos can help you get ideas for more lessons even in between others
share content more than once is important to reach more people
engage with conversations about the content you created
- Twitter threads explaining a little more about them
progressive summarization! (see references)
try to start with the end of a collection and go backwards
Tips for first-timers
- your first collection does not need to be your best topic/more advanced one. It could be something simple
- define if you want to go Wide or Deep, try not to do both
- Your collection does not have to be finished before you publish. WIP is better than nothing
- you can get people feedback and adjust/add the next lessons
if you go wide but want to go deeper into a topic, treat it as a separate collection
- you can link your deeper collection into your wider collection lesson!
create content the way you like to consume it and would be useful to you
optimizing for bordem
- is better to make some people borded for a couple of seconds, than having people confused and not know about a topic/idea.
45secs in an Egghead video is an Eternity! 😂
- "A collection is a playlist of videos that can share a common theme and be shared and promoted to your audience."
- planning and collaboration is not required for collections (as opposed to Courses)
- "A collection of lessons is a great place to experiment and create content without a lot of friction to the process. This can give you the freedom to explore ideas and subjects that you find interesting and useful."